Sunday, December 13, 2009

Tears of... Hormones!


Here are a couple pregnant moments for your entertainment:
As you know, Jonathan and I are in the midst of a big house reno and in the way of our laundry/mud room addition there happened to be the most beautiful Spruce tree. At about 50 feet tall with the most perfect pine branches gently cascading down, this tree reminded me of a fairytale...like I was in the middle of Hansel and Gretel or something. Nevertheless, it had to come down. Jonathan went ahead and scheduled its removal while I steered clear of the details. I had actually totally forgotten about it when on a Friday we were out running errands and Jonathan said, "Oh, I want to show you something at the house." He drove me by the place and said, "Look at the tree!" I looked over to see my fairytale tree completely stripped of its lovely branches except for a little poof of pine at the very top. It was like a gigantic one-ended Q-tip. I said, "Oh my gosh, I'm so sad! Why did you show me this?" The next thing I knew I was literally BAWLING! I grabbed a napkin out of the glove box to wipe my face while Jonathan felt like crap (amidst his chuckling). I was crying so hard...but with occasional spurts of laughter at myself for crying so much over the tree. I would cry then laugh uncontrollably then go back to crying. It was the weirdest feeling. And it took me a good hour to get over it!

On another occasion, we were watching a Cardinals game during the regular season and it was a very close scoring game against the Nationals. In the bottom of the ninth inning, Albert Pujols stepped up to the plate and hit one out of the park to win the game. The whole team left the dugout and ran out onto the field to congratulate him at home plate while the entire stadium cheered. I found myself reaching to wipe tears away, stammering, "He's so talented" amidst sniffs of snot.

Oy, the hormones!

2 comments:

Kristie said...

I am laughing at this...especially as I remember Bruce coming home to tell me it was his last day at Andersen, and he needed me to drive him there to turn in his van. Can you believe I was bawling over this? After those YEARS of wanting him out of there??? Understandably, I guess, I was 9 months pregnant...

Katy said...

Hmmm... I'm really in for it. I already cry over Publix and sweet Hallmark commercials!