Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Our 10-month-old

Happy ten months to Ross today! Our little boy has learned so much and changed so much in the last few weeks.

Over Thanksgiving he started clicking his tongue and clapping. Shortly after, he began waving when we wave at him or tell him to say "hi." On December 22nd, he mastered forward crawling and on January 22nd, he took his first steps behind his walker and holding onto our hands.

Just this week he began pointing to things. He talks up a storm (in his own language for the most part). I would love to know what he's trying to say with such earnest! He knows his daddy well and calls him "Dada" most of the time. The other morning he woke up and heard construction noise coming from upstairs where Jonathan has been working with a contractor to finish. Ross looked up at the ceiling and said with a big smile, "Dada!" I think he knows what Jonathan spends a lot of time doing! Ross mostly calls me "Mom-mom" although for a little while he did call out for me through tears sobbing, "Yommy!" I'm not entirely sure that he's always referring to me when he says "Mom-mom." That seems to be the phrase he uses for milk as well....

Ross' third word is "cat." Although it comes out as "gat" or "dat." When the cats meow he calls out to them and points at the basement door, knowing they are on the other side.

He is doing well with solid foods. So far he has eaten avocado, sweet potato, cauliflower, broccoli, peas and carrots. He "mmmmms" a lot when he eats and loves drinking water from a sippy cup. He is getting way too tall for his little whale-shaped bathtub. His little legs are too long so he sits with his knees bent. Hopefully only a couple more weeks till the upstairs bathroom is done with a full-sized bathtub!

As musicians, Jonathan and I are pleased to see Ross responding well to music. We sing to him quite a bit and he sometimes "sings" along. Lately we have noticed him recognizing specific tunes. When we sing "Bingo" he immediately starts clapping. I made up a song about Ross' lamb and when I start singing it he looks over at his lamby. I also made up a song about the shower squeegie. When I start singing it, Ross gets visibly excited because he knows the squeegie will follow and he loves watching the squeegie.

We are so grateful for these last 10 months with Ross and can hardly believe how much he's growing. He is such a happy little kid and keeps us laughing daily. He giggles at our silliness in trying to entertain him and lets us kiss him as much as we want. We couldn't have asked for a better son and have never had a better time in our lives!

No comments: