Last Sunday was a big day for this Whitley family. Jonathan was installed as the Associate Pastor to Youth and Families. He had been serving as the Assistant Pastor for the last two years and moving to the title of "Associate" is a promotion as well as an honor. His role is essentially the same, but being called as an Associate includes more job security and an overall approval by the congregation. In fact, at the December congregational meeting, church members unanimously voted to extend this more permanent call to Jonathan. It is such evidence to us that we are in God's will when so many people are pleased with his ministry.

Another affirmation for us that we are where God intends us to be was the "Charge to the Pastor" given by Mark Laster. If you're interested and have time, you can give it a read:
"About 3 years ago, a new search committee was formed and assigned the task of finding a new youth minister. We spent months praying and talking about what kind of person we wanted working with our youth. We began to list all of the qualities we would like to see in our new youth minister. A few resumes into our search, I began to realize just how picky we were. I mean can you really find one person who loves kids unconditionally, is humble yet confident, conservative yet bold, someone who kids like yet respect, as well as someone who can act like a kid yet lead like a mature adult? In addition they needed to be funny, friendly, athletic, family-oriented, and biblically sound. Of course, they also needed a loving, supportive spouse to partner with them in the ministry. And oh yeah, we would really like it if they were musically inclined as well. It's no secret that a couple of us on the committee might be considered a little 'practical' minded. In my case personally, I might more honestly define that as a little lacking in faith. So I must admit, at some point, I began thinking that someone who possessed maybe 80-90% of these traits might not be so bad. That is, until the resume from a church-planter in North Carolina came across Randy's desk.
Jonathan, you and Tara fit the bill perfectly. You're a perfect reminder to me to never put God in a box. We asked for the 'impossible' and God delivered. I say all of that to say this: I can say today with complete confidence that at this time, in this place, you are God's man for the job.
The task--your calling--is not an easy one. Many have written today's youth off as yet another lost generation. I don't agree and I know you share that opinion. Our youth live in a sinful, messy society, one not of their own making, but of their inheritance. You have the difficult charge of showing God's love and compassion to a hurting generation, yet all the while teaching them the biblical principles of personal accountability before a holy and just God. The task is steep, and no doubt the stakes are high, but as I've already said, I am absolutely confident that in Christ, you are fully capable of continuing to meet the task, to complete the charge. 'With Christ nothing is impossible.' As we have already witnessed in your work thus far at FEPC, we know you are a man of the Word, so I will end this charge with the words of the Apostle Paul, spoken to Timothy:
'All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. In the presence of God and Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: Preach the Word; be prepared both in season and out of season; correct, rebuke, and encourage--with great patience and careful instruction. For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.'
Jonathan, you are a talented man. Through the gifts given you, and through the Word, God has thoroughly equipped you to carry out His ministry. I therefore charge you to love those you are called to minister to, all the while, preaching the Word of God unapologetically. And do this all knowing that First EPC loves you, and your family, and we look forward to many years of ministry and service together.
No comments:
Post a Comment